Re: [atlarge-discuss] To RALO or not to RALO (was: Some Simple Facts...)

On 2003-01-10 23:19:16 -0000, Richard Henderson wrote:

> We, the people, must be our own Gatekeepers.

> We, the people, must develop our own structures and umbrellas.

> We, the people of the world, must lay claim to the world's
> internet, and demand a decisive role in its governance and
> development - because it is our resource, NOT the resource of a
> Californian quango, or its backers.

I'm getting sick of hearing this kind of bullshit -- it's been the
same kind of high-sounding, but empty rhetorics for years.  All
you're achieving this way is to detract people from actual internet
governance questions.

How about doing some work on hard issues instead of continuously
demanding a role -- without having the faintest idea about what
internet governance is all about?  How about using the opportunities
you have instead of proclaiming that they're not perfect, hence
inacceptable -- without even trying to make use of them?

Of course, that takes more time than wasting everyone's ressources
on discussing whether ICANN is good or bad.

icannatlarge{.com,.org} has a considerable membership.  That's the
capital you should build upon.  Where's the message to ICANN (to the
DoC, to the EU commission, ...) saying that, on behalf of the
diverse membership of this organization, you have these and those
demands on, say WHOIS policy?  On domain name deletion mechanisms?
On transfers?  On procedures for adding new gTLDs?  On the UDRP? All
I hear from icannatlarge{.com,.org} is an ear-deafening silence on
actual issues.

Just in case you don't get it: The kind of absurd discussions you
guys are having are adding another nail to the at-large's coffin.

Happy new year,
--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.net/