Re: [atlarge-discuss] (fwd) Re: Let move smartly together

espresso@e-scape.net wrote:

> I'm not a Panelist but I think that, however great Joop's system
> might be, if this organization is to succeed, it needs to start
> by making some rules for itself rather than dealing (or not)
> with each issue on an ad hoc basis. One of the most obvious and
> immediate needs is a mechanism by which the Panel can send
> periodic reports on its activities, notices of upcoming meetings,
> and notices or ballots to all members. It really isn't good enough
> to say we can deal with these things at some later date or make
> somebody else responsible for these processes.
I concur fully, but need also to point out that the mailing list does not
include all the members.  (Some who put themselves on may already have taken
themselves back off out of frustration.)  Nor does the website, obviously.

> If I recall correctly, we had already discussed the importance
> of both keeping the membership list confidential and including
> some kind of authentication mechanism in our balloting system.
> These are things that normally fall under the responsibility of
> the Secretary of an organization (the elected officer, not a
> paid office-body!) and are written into the bylaws. Could we
> not get the bylaws ball rolling again here by formally
> proposing the adoption of some rules about this for our
> "interim" operations?
>
> My concept would be something like this:
>
> 1) The Panel designates one of its members as Interim Secretary
> charged with
>   a) maintaining an up-to-date and complete membership list
>      wherein each member is assigned a membership number;
>   b) sending a message to each member advising them of that
>      number (which will be used to authenticate ballots)
>      and asking them to confirm their continued interest in
>      being members along with their contact details;
This should include an update of Panel activities, in order to revive the
member's interest.  In fact, this item should be combined with the next, as
the first of the periodic reports.

I agree with the rest of your 1) and 2) (omitted for brevity).

> 3) The Panel schedules an online Special General Meeting to
>    discuss, amend and ratify its proposals. The results will
>    form a set of Interim Bylaws we can start to work within
>    so as to move forward on deciding the other issues which
>    face us.

I don't understand an "online Special General Meeting."  Do you mean
something like a chat room?  (Can't stand 'em, myself.)  I prefer Robert's
Rules of Order.

> I'll leave it up to the Panel to develop a suitable set of
> unbiased questions to determine what the members really want,
> and I hope they will consider taking responsibility for
> ensuring that all members who wish to will have the means
> and opportunity to vote, not just those who can get to Joop's
> Polling Booth within a few days so the votes can be counted
> quickly. I think we need to remember not everyone can vote
> via a Web site and not everyone reads all their atlarge mail
> every day and can react to it quickly without time for
> reflection.

My thinking as well; I can only hope that the Panel moves forward in this
direction without further procrastination.