RE: [atlarge-discuss] To RALO or not to RALO (was: Some Simple Facts...)

A general reply to this thread:

Thomas Roessler wrote:

| I'm getting sick of hearing this kind of bullshit -- it's been the
| same kind of high-sounding, but empty rhetorics for years.  All
| you're achieving this way is to detract people from actual internet
| governance questions.

No, what we're doing is giving them a legitimate venue in which to actual
discus them.  Anyone who thinks the RAOLs or any other top-down driven
internal ICANN structure is actually going to effect ICANN's decisions is
deluding themselves.  Nonetheless, we should still participate in their
process, but we should also be working to build our membership and challenge
ICANN and any other body whose Internet governance ideas would exclude
*users* from having inputs on decisions that will affect them.

| Where's the message to ICANN (to the
| DoC, to the EU commission, ...) saying that, on behalf of the
| diverse membership of this organization, you have these and those
| demands on, say WHOIS policy?

It's coming.  Unlike ICANN, we don't have the luxury of easy, top-down
directed decision-making! Consensus-building takes time, and unlike many
other organizations we are a totally volunteer organization operating with
donated resources, all of whose members have real jobs and commitments.  We
are getting there.  Not as fast as some would like, granted, but we will
arrive!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info