[atlarge-discuss] FYI: Open Journal Systems and Open Conference Systems fromPublic Knowledge Project, UBC, Canada

Dear all,

It appears that there are more and more free resources available
these days for groups who need to work collaboratively at a
distance or "meet" without the possibility of doing so face-to-face.
I'm in no position to judge the relative merits of one system
over another since I haven't really used any of them myself.

That being said, except insofar as I'd personally rule out
any system which relies on additional downloads, proprietary
software, high-end systems or always-on broadband connections,
I think when we talk about "organizations" where participants
are hundreds or thousands of miles apart and they don't have
equal access to expense accounts or travel subsidies, the onus
must be on the organization to make itself as accessible as
possible.

It strikes me that it just might be more democratic to adapt
such tools to the needs of our organizations than to simply
disenfranchise anyone who hasn't the means to get to a
physical meeting at a distant location. It's certainly true
that Internet access is not universal yet and conferencing
software can be difficult for some ... but it is also true
that one or two dozen people who can assemble in a given room
can't be assumed to represent the wishes of everyone else
unless they are specifically mandated to do so.

Could something like the set-up described below not be
investigated as a possible means of holding "online meetings"
and collaborating on the drafting of reports and proposals?

Regards,

Judyth

<< start of forwarded material >>