[atlarge-discuss] RE: [atlarge-panel] RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] RE: (fwd) [atlarge-panel] draft motion on membership vote

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

|  Very interesting thread. Let me see how I can help from
|  experience in IDNO
|  as a polling officer and a system developper.

Please.  I'm the first to admit I'm not a network engineer, so most of my
ideas are very general in nature.  Nut if anyone has the "chops" to get
specific it's Jefsey!  :)

|  >First, we need to make sure our system supports mail traffic to/from
|  >alternative roots.
|
|  OK. But the problem being who ison what... I suppose I have the most
|  extensive global root system. I intend to deploy it on the atlarge/ws
|  machine we are working on with Abel. This should address the issue. This
|  list will be generated as part of dot-root, so anyone can add a test TLD.

OK.  This will work nicely. Are you working with Vittorio on hooking the new
voting system to it?

|  This uses my polling idea:
|
|  1. @large are members of the internet global community wanting
|  to be active
|  in its governance
|  2. this means they certainly want to share into polls indicating
|  manufactures, service proivders, governance bodies etc. what they think.
|  3. if there is one poll a month, votes and polls should be permitted
|  immediately, but votes would be taken into consideration for
|  decision only
|  for those having participated in 3 polls over 4.

Hmmm.  OK.  But I doubt that this can be implemented in time for *this*
election.  It would have to be rolled into our bylaws.

|  It should be possible to accept as many ballots people want to
|  send, only taking into consideration the last one of the voting
|   list registered mail address.

That was my point: the watchdogs could easily weed out duplicates.

|  The normal sequence should be:
|
|  0. a polling officer, keykeepers and watchdogs are designated. The
|  keykeepers chose the key of the vote and enter it in the system. The
|  polling officer organizes the vote, the keykeeper enters the key.
|  1. mail to the voting list and other lists to help people remebering to
|  update their mailname.
|  2. people click on the vote link and learn what it is about or
|  return the
|  mail to get a ballot
|  3. if they want to vote they ask for a certified ballot (time
|  stamp, their
|  e-mail)
|  4. they return the ballot - the e-mail is replaced by the MD5 of
|  the e-mail
|  + the key of the vote an acknowledgement is sent to the voter.
|  If the voter
|  does not receive it, he can revote.
|  5. the list is indexed by MD5+timestamp.
|  6. a ballot list is generated taking the last MD5+timestamp for each
|  e-mail, a report and list of the ballot without the value of the vote is
|  forwarded to the keykeepers and published.
|  7. the result is worked out from this list by the watch-dogs.
|  The polling
|  officer reports it when all the watchdogs are OK.

OK.  This is a bit more complex than we've used in the past, but obviously
more secure.

Now . . . how much of this will be rolled into the system we'll be voting
with next?

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info