Re: [atlarge-discuss] Resignation

Hello, all,

If Michael Geist is correct and this "group" really consists
primarily of 20 people holding a wide range of different
opinions of what the group should do, it seems to me that
all the discussion on this list will come to nothing at all
without a new and more systematic approach.

What I myself would recommend (though it may not be to
everyone's taste) is that we take a little time here and
now to discuss what the Panel's role and duties really
are, whether this corresponds to what we actually need,
and when the next election will be held to allow us to
establish a new, better-organized modus operandi.

I have the distinct feeling some Panel members and many
registered members of this group dropped away due to the
absence of agreement on its goals. Others may have fallen
by the wayside when it became clear we were incapable of
deciding to do anything concrete about getting ourselves
organized. These are not unfixable problems.

If you'll allow my two cents, this is what I think we
need to do first:

1. Send a message to all registered members of the group,
   explaining that although we have not yet achieved
   anything material but the emergence of a core-group
   interested in becoming a real organization, we do intend
   to do so without further delay and we need to know
   what they want that organization to be. Advise them
   that anyone who wants to remain part of the organizing
   group must confirm his/her registration between now
   and a given cut-off date (say, Feb 28/03) and that
   those who do not do so will not be eligible to vote
   in the upcoming ballots and elections. Say something
   encouraging about the chance to vote on the new
   Constitution for the group and invite them to rejoin
   this discussion list to add their ideas to the mix.

2. Take the names so gathered and assign each confirmed
   member a permanent membership number. Send them all
   a further message containing (in no particular order)
   a) the list rules for this list
   b) a warm invitation to consider the question of
      whether this organization should be formed in
      relation to ICANN's new RALO/nominating committee/
      no Board presence approach or as an independent
      body pressing ICANN and other organizations to
      increase their attention to and democratic
      participation of Internet users - ask for a
      numerical response on a scale of 1-10 with 1
      for "an organization which will organize Internet
      users wishing to participate in RALOs" and 10
      being "an organization whose mission is to
      represent Internet users in all matters relating
      to technical administration and governance of the
      Internet"
   c) a request that each respondent rank a list of
      priorities provided according to their own views
   d) a request that each respondent also choose at least
      one aspect (working group) in which they would like
      to participate.

3.  Take the results from b) and c) and turn them into the
    "mission" portion of the constitution, then collaborate
    on what form of organization would best suit those goals.

4.  Take the results from d) and subscribe the people to
    the appropriate WG list, sending them a "Welcome" message
    which spells out the mandate of the WG and how/how often
    it will report to the general membership.

5.  Set up a timetable for the next 12 months, specifying
    which tasks must be accomplished by when and setting
    up "meetings" and reporting intervals for each subgroup
    involved. (Include main external events for which
    position papers, choosing representatives, or lobbying
    must be organized, as well as internal processes.)

6.  Work like hell to keep the project on track and on
    schedule... in which the election of a new Interim Panel
    with specific duties, procedures and deadlines would be
    extremely useful.

I believe what can emerge from a process like that will be
far stronger than what we have now. Although the number of
confirmed members will be smaller than the 1000+, those who
stay on are more likely to contribute rather than wait for
others to do something for them, and we'll at least have a
confirmed plan of action in a couple of months.

N.B. This is not suggested as a substitute for the informal
polling process or the formal one we're evidently unable to
engage in under the present rules. The more information we
gather on what the members really want, the easier it will
be to create an organization that suits them.

Any thoughts???

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>