[atlarge-discuss] Columbia, Iraq, DNS

Some in here accused me of "Anti-Americanism". This American editorialist (named Dick Gordon) says all in this text (he was speaking of Columbia):

<quote>
Four days later, Wednesday, Secretary of State Colin Powell gave his powerful speech to the United Nations. (You don't have to agree with his conclusions to admit it was a powerful speech.) People around the world watched and listened. I'm guessing that many of them wanted to be persuaded that war with Iraq is a rational option. Some may have been convinced and others not. Some never will be. My point is that the deep feelings people hold over the loss of the Columbia are hard-wired into the same mental circuitry with which they watched Powell. It's a tangle of trust and admiration and curiosity and skepticism and cynicism that some commentators in this country interpret as anti-Americanism.

They're wrong. It's not anti-Americanism. I've lived most of my life outside the US, and it's a pretty basic observation that people everywhere want to know that their views count, even on issues such as this one. I think that the global sense of loss that people share over the Columbia and their desire to be included in difficult global decisions like what to do in Iraq are inseparable. Not unreasonable, when you think that we all have a stake in what NASA calls this "tiny blue marble in the cosmos".
</quote>

IMHO Columbia, Iraq, DNS make a graduation in importance. Because of the DNS impact on everyone life for decades, orientation of the users habits and therefore culture and education, etc. it is the source or the patch of multiple digital divides and the help or the limitation to innovation.

As Jeff puts it in another mail: cyberspace is not the 51st US State (nor AmerICANN its administration agency, even if 47 USC 230 (f)(1) may be read this way). Again I prefer "We ICANN" even it it was said by Mike Roberts.

jfc