[atlarge-discuss] Re: another 3 years for ICANN

> At 07:56 p.m. 12/02/2003, Norbert Klein wrote:

> >So I have to ask again: what is our common effort for, if we cannot act,
> > not even speak?
>
> Election of a spokesman would be the logical step.
>

> -joop-

Very interesting. I would agree. But will this spokesperson have the trust
of the membership? Or will he or she have to wait for next month's polling
before the membership will have given their opinion on several different options
for a response?

I am not asking this only as a rhetoric or even sarcastic question, but I
think one of the reasons why the at-large fellowship has been widely paralyzed
so far is the unresolved question: do we want to have a structure which can
act quickly on our public concerns (for which we need to give authorization
and trust to spokesperson and panel), or do we want to have a base democratic
organization (so that the panel or whatever it is called) will have to
constantly - not only from time to time - get guidance from the whole membership.

I do not know any organization which has been able to combine both elements
without giving one of the two sides more weight.

The recent poll seems to have said: everything should be guided by
membership polls. OK - but how will a spokesperson function - practically, on issues
where we need to respond to other's agenda? Or will we be just happy to
formulate a common opinion when others have already acted for the next three years?

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia