[atlarge-discuss] Correction

At 06:16 p.m. 28/03/2003, Jan Siren wrote:
espresso@e-scape.net wrote:

> My personal inclination, I think, would be to e-mail the last batch
> of .ORG members and ask them to contact Joop themselves if they want
> to "opt-in" for the Polling Booth process. That way, you wouldn't
> be violating their privacy or committing ICANNATLARGE.ORG to
> accepting Joop as webmaster/listholder/decision-maker but those
> members would still have a chance to vote if they wanted to.
> Would sending that sort of message to 20-or-so members (Bcc, of
> course) seem like a reasonable solution to you?

I went ahead and did this.  I sent a copy of Joop's Polling Booth
announcement, with a brief covering note of explanation, to the 17 e-mail
addresses that were on Vittorio's list but not also on Joop's list.  Doing it
"BCC" took me a little longer than it would have by putting all the names in
the "Mail to" field; but it is a nod to privacy.  (We should be examples of
what we want cyberspace to become.)
[I said without thinking]
*************
Thanks, Jan.
This is a reasonable solution under the circumstances.
The important thing is that, if possible, no member is disenfranchised.

On what day did you do this?
I must have been half asleep when I wrote this last night.
These 17 people will find a closed Booth and they will have no key.

The only way to let them participate at this late hour is to let me enter their email addresses in the Booth's database and let the Booth generate their personal passwords.
If you send me the email addresses within the next 24 hours, I can extend the closing date and give them a 48 hour opportunity to vote.

-joop-