RE: [atlarge-discuss] what most members want

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 22:25, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> At 03:30 p.m. 2/04/2003, Stephen Waters wrote:

> > > I hope you are aware of the fact that the voting members in majority think
> > > differently.
> > > Email ballot is not preferred.
> > > It is too easy to fake responses.
> >
> >but remember, your poll only took into account people who have web
> >access with their email.
>
> Yes, I am acutely aware of that. It is a self-selected bunch, who use
> tyranny of the majority to be able to use the web as the tool for their
> democracy.
>
> The solution: a separate pressure group for those who either prefer
> email-only or have no other Net access. They must have unique concerns and
> I am sure Norbert or Judyth can champion their cause and rally large
> numbers behind them.
> There is a great deal of  common ground left. There should be a place under
> the  icannatlarge.org umbrella for every such group.
>

> Better to talk about self-enfranchising than about dis-enfranchising.

In the States, we call these "Jim Crow laws" where voters have to pass
some sort of unreasonable minimum threshold to vote. For now, I think
requiring Web access to vote is unreasonable. See below.

> >  i'm quite concerned the rest will be
> >disenfranchised altogether (even if the number is small).
>
> I think we have to help the majority first with the means at our disposal.

0. The icannatlarge.COM poll counts a plurality, not a majority.
1. Email voting is certainly within the means at our disposal.
2. The greatest common denominator between everyone is email.
3. Thus, email should be used.

> After that come the one or two members who *want* to vote but cannot. (not
> even when they get 10 days to find an internet cafe or a library)

granted.

-s