RE: [atlarge-discuss] "Common Sense" Re: MOTION! Panel Members! Speak Out NOW!

Joop Teernstra wrote:

|  Bruce, if you can do it, go for it.  I'll gladly step back. You,
|  Jefsey and
|  Eric have just as much right to organize an election as I, Judyth and
|  Richard. (for example)

Thanks for the endorsement.  But there will be enough work for everyone, I
suspect.  And I'm hoping that the new Panel will give your polling booth a
regular workout.  I'm thinking monthly polls on the issues of the moment.

|  I consider myself as one trying to further the cause of
|  holding meaningful elections and I see vociferous and sometimes
|  petty and far-fetched objections to my actions.

I know.  And you've kept the momentum going.  Thank you for that.

|  Ignore that "indicator" at your (and our) peril.   As far as new
|  elections is concerned, it is a demand.

I know.  That is why Jefsey and I have been pressing forward ever since that
initial poll, to get elections going.  Vittorio's exit, and his machinations
with the membership list and Web admin keys, delayed everything and threw an
air of suspicion over the whole process that we're still not out from under!
I'm hoping that our doing exactly what we say we intend to do will help
restore some level of confidence.

|  But by all means, try to get a higher participation rate.

That is my intent: to include your poll questions in the ballot.  More to
come on that in a separate message.

|  Good. Are you going to repeat the key question then, if the
|  members want a single Do-all Panel of if they  want a division of Power?

Yes.  Actually, I expect that, once all the inputs are in from the members
(right now our intent is to solict questions along with nominations in a
single letter.

|  Are you going to get a VOTE on what size of web Panel the members want?
|  I hope you will get more than 100 votes.

Yes.  Again, my intent is to push to have the questions as part of the same
ballot we use to elect new Panel members, so we will have some specific
guidance with which to build our bylaws.

|  Please quote from any of my postings how I am "dead-set against
|  the idea of elections".

Perhaps that was poorly worded.  The point I was trying to make was that
everyone wants new elections, but seemed to object to anyone who was
standing up to make them happen!

|  Having a MOTION turn into a resolution when you have no quorum is one of
|  those actions that can bring an ICANNite to a position of  officiality.

I have no intention of doing anything further other than conducting a
successful elections.  Period.

|  -Those who profess to believe in direct democracy pass the real
|  test when they disagree with a result, but still respect it.-

Agreed.  In this case I feel our current actions -- to hold an election --
are in agreement with the wishes of the membership.  I'm hoping everyone can
please stop complaining about *how* the elections came to pass and provide
positive inputs to help us make them successful!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info