RE: [atlarge-discuss] Election Preparation

At 22:14 -0700 2003/04/17, <bruce@barelyadequate.info> wrote:
>|  which reads as if anyone who is a candidate must have his
>|  or her own Web site and only the links will be on the
>|  ICANNATLARGE.ORG site. I would much prefer it if all of
>|  the candidate statements were posted on the site itself
>
>That would be preferrable, I agree.  But unfortunately we don't have a
>current Webmaster that is familiar with the site, likle we did last
>electionn.  And I frankly don't have the time to decode someone else's
>HTML,
>Javascript, Perl, etc. etc. between now and May 5th!  As an
>alternative for
>those who have no Web space of their own, I can set up a folder on my
>domain
>and link to it there.  But realistically, virtually *every* ISP account
>these days comes with at least a few megabytes of Web space, so I
>don't see
>this as a major burden.

"Virtually" every ISP account perhaps, but certainly not all.
Mine doesn't, for example; though I do have Web space
elsewhere, not everyone will or know how to make a Web page.

ICANNATLARGE.ORG does have space and you guys have the FTP
access that would allow you to create a Candidates Page with
links to the various statements, if nothing more.

Most people aren't techies and statements don't require
Javascript, Perl, etc.  Just add one link to the existing
home page saying "Read candidate statements" and FTP in
a file with the right filename that contains the statements.

One could easily ask for the statements to be provided as
straight HTML without scripts or illustrations and post them
"as is" on the site. Or even ask for plain text in the
body of an e-mail message and post the text without any
fancy formatting -- the point is the information, not
whether a person can make pretty pages! The only HTML that
would be really necessary would be making any external
URLs work, and even I can do that! [Put <A HREF=" before
the filename and "> after it, then the text you want visible
as the link, then </A> and Bob's your uncle.]

>|  I'd *really* like it if a second message went out on
>|  May 5 or 6 which listed the candidates and provided a brief
>|  statement and contact information for each of them, especially
>|  if there is no forum provided for asking questions of the
>|  candidates publicly. (Now, that's where the group might
>|  choose to avail itself of Joop's facilities and talents
>|  and make the forum the official place for those questions
>|  and answers!)
>
>I have absolutely no problem with either idea.  Jefsey, and Eric might
>want
>to chime in here!
>
>|  If we're to avoid some of the problems we've had in the past,
>|  it would help more to know about what people stand for than what
>|  they do in their day jobs. If a forum isn't feasible and we
>|  can't assemble private questions into a "Q&A", would it perhaps
>|  be possible to ask candidates to fill out a questionnaire that
>|  would indicate what they want this group to do and would promote
>|  as Panelists?
>
>No problem with this either.

I await other responses (to this and other messages) with bated breath.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>