Re: [atlarge-discuss] URGENT Re: [atlarge-discuss] Election Preparation

Ron, Joop and all fellow members,

Ron Sherwood wrote:

>   Good morning, Joop:
>
> One of the problems with our organization is the time that it takes to
> be
> involved. The Website does require more time to navigate and to follow
>
> archived discussions than the list. But even more important is the
> fact that
> this organization is specifically an at-large organization. It is
> unfair to
> require members to use the Web when the vast majority of the al-large
> population has extremely limited access. Most users globally have
> either a
> very slow, and often expensive, connection or must use a shared
> computer
> that will often cost considerable reward for labor to use. This
> doesn't
> exclude the use of a website for voting purposes, but it does preclude
> you
> from chastising someone who does not have the time or the warewithall
> use the site.

  Haven't we visited this issue several times before?  I believe that we
have,
See archives.  In any event, some of Rons reasons here for not using
Joops
Webmail list are quite valid ones and have several times before been
presented.  Why must we again revisit the same old tired issues I
wonder?

> The atlarge discuss list is the most suitable contact point for many
> (probably most) members and is certainly the most suitable for most
> potential members. Let us use both methods of communication, but don't
> use
> the website to exclude anyone from participating, and certainly
> refrain from
> publicly abusing a member who simply states his preference for the
> list.

  Good point here Ron.  And again one that has been presented several
times before.  The MAIN ML for this list should be under the control of
the members and part of the ICANNATLARGE.ORG domain instead
of "Lists.fitug.de".  This also has been discussed before as well.

> I am sure that the work that you and others have invested in the
> website(s)
> is appreciated, but that investment is not a reason to demand pity
> when a
> member states a preference for mail list participation.

  Also agreed to the extent that pity should be an excuse to use Joops
preferred Webmail Mailing list.  It's simply too time consuming to use
and has significant security and reliability problems...