Re: [atlarge-discuss] URGENT Re: [atlarge-discuss] Election Preparation

At 10:30 p.m. 19/04/2003, Ron Sherwood wrote:
Good morning, Joop:
Good afternoon, Ron.
First of all , a happy Easter to you.

Chastising Eric from time to time has shown beneficial effects. :)

Yes, of course you are right about using both of our organizational legs, web and email, and neither should preclude , let alone exclude participation. I am strongly in favor of using them in tandem.

One of the problems with our organization is the time that it takes to be
involved.
Point one taken and shared.

 The Website does require more time to navigate and to follow
archived discussions than the list.
The list sometimes wastes time and emotions and tempts subscribers to waste time on off-topic stuff. Time that could have been used to make a thoughtful contribution to, say, the Charter Forum.
Its Archive is only accessible via the web, difficult to browse and impossible to navigate to discussion topics. As a result the real-time ML is very hard for newcomers to break in with sensible comment.

Your "at large masses" suffer the most from this difficulty. Their inability to see who their fellow -subscribers are is an unnecessary handicap, that may discourage serious new potential subscribers to associate with whom they don't know.

The web forum on the other hand, services any newcomer with a quick, top-down overview of topics that have been discussed or are open for discussion. He can step in anywhere without causing ripples elsewhere . The users/visitors in that forum where he posts are informed by email of any new posting.
He can see who the forum subscribers are and he can poll the members that visit a particular topic. He can even request the Forum administrator to pass on a posting as a general message to all registered members.
He or she.

 But even more important is the fact that
this organization is specifically an at-large organization. It is unfair to
require members to use the Web when the vast majority of the al-large
population has extremely limited access.
True, but we are talking about tools for our present members to use to build their organizational Constitution, not something else. Call the present membership the Constituants. They represent, but cannot include, "the vast majority of the al-large population". They all have web access at some time. When last asked, they voted for web tools.

I am sure you are reasonable enough to allow them to use web tools, and Eric ditto.

It is my humble vision that we together leave a bigger footprint in Cyberspace than a nearly invisible archived ML on a server in Germany, full of JW trolling.

We should have a large and impressive web presence and every member should have the right to mirror it or use its graphic elements in order help increase its visibility.
As far as the www.icannatlarge.com munity is concerned, I am granting every registered member these rights.

I am sorry if my language to Eric offended you.

I am also sorry for being suspicious when a ML is not transparent, controlled by an ALAC member, and when its special status is so heavily defended.

BTW, there is a new list that promises to maintain transparency: discuss@icannatlarge.com
Two legs. Just for redundancy.

-joop-