[atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

When you request a freemail certificate from Thawte, they send you the following message:

HOW TO GET YOUR NAME IN YOUR CERT:
Your certificate will not contain your name, because we have no basis to know that you are who you say you are. If you want to get your name into your certificate there are currently two different ways to do so:

1. Trusted Third Parties
If you follow this process, you will be obligated to become a Web of Trust Notary (see note 2, for more information).
If you know or can find any two of the following:
(a) a CPA
(b) a practicing Attorney
(c) a Bank Manager
Then you can ask them to certify your identity to Thawte. More information about this is available on the following page: http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/wot/ttp.html

2. Web of Trust
You can try to find a Web of Trust notary in the Directory of Notaries. Visit that notary with a copy of your identity documents, and you will be notarized up to 35 points. You need 50 points to get your name in your certs, and 100 points to become a notary yourself. The Directory is online at https://www.thawte.com/cgi/personal/wot/directory.exe

If you go through one of these processes you will be able to put your name into any of your certificates!

It's real easy folks, quite painless too...
Also, I must underscore the point that there are Web of Trust notaries available from Antarctica to Zimbabwe and most places in between: https://www.thawte.com/cgi/personal/wot/directory.exe

It's time we set about legitimzing our organization and we cannot wait for the perfect solution, because that will probably never become available. We must try something more than what we've tried to-date (which is nothing!). I doubt very much that there's a single person who is subscribed as a member of our organization who cannot fulfil one of the two options above to acquire a Thawte certificate.

Be Well,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos