[atlarge-discuss] What right does ARIN have to be the only Address Space Leasing company ?

What right does ARIN have to be the only Address Space Leasing company ?
Does ARIN have any patents, copyrights, trademarks on Internet Protocol Technology ?

Why are IN-ADDR.ARPA domain names so expensive ?

[ppml] IP address theft?
http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/1597.html

David,

I agree with the spirit of the term 'theft' in your message regard WIANA
below, but I am not sure about the literal definition.

It is not property in a tangible sense. It is not owned, but there is a
significant infrastructure of 'stewardship' which makes the infrastructure
reliable and predictable.
Its unsanctioned use is a violation of the protocol in use, but is it theft
in the eyes of the law?
If addresses allocated to ARIN are squatted, does ARIN's incorporation or
the allocation process give it 'rights' under the law to exclusive dominion
on these 'things'?

Do you use the term literally or figuratively?

Bill Darte
ARIN AC

http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/1594.html

> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:29:45PM +0100, Michael.Dillon@radianz.com
> wrote:
> > > What do people think about providing support to WIANA in order
> > > to properly register the 1/8 address space that they are using?
>
> Given the premise for their existence is RIRs/RFC2050 are not applicable to
> their users, I don't think ARIN support makes much sense.
>
> Thus spake "Ron da Silva" <ron@aol.net>
> > Hmm...shouldn't WIANA simply ask an RIR for space (after
> > justification) or directly petition IANA like any other well behaving
> > internet activity/experiment?
>
> WIANA's web site states their 1/8 addresses aren't reachable from the public
> Internet, therefore they have no functional reason to pay RIR allocation
> fees. I am very doubtful they could get an allocation from IANA directly
> without IETF/ISOC support for their experiment.

        Hum... read the web site(s) and I don't recall there being
        any statement on the WIANA site about this being an experiment.

        I am concerned that they have apparently appropriated 1.0.0.0/8
        without even the flimsiest of justifications or notification
        to any of the recognized address mgmt parties.

--bill

Michael,

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 01:41 AM, Michael.Dillon@radianz.com
wrote:
>> They are trying to steal 1/8. Why should anyone condone such action?
> They are trying to use it, not steal it.

Which is what a car jacker might say.

They have unilaterally asserted the use of 1.0.0.0/8, which according
to the _only_ authority used to date (the IANA) has been reserved since
1981. By this unilateral assertion, they are attempting to remove that
address space from the pool of unallocated addresses without following
existing, published address allocation policies.

This is theft.

> The RIRs no longer need to conserve IPv4 address space.

This isn't about conserving address space or whether or not they are
using address space for a valid reason. The Internet works because
most people see it is in their self-interest to cooperate. Part of
this cooperation is to agree to use the Internet registry system
including the IANA as a meeting point to define global addressability.
The folks at WIANA have chosen to ignore this cooperative system for,
as far as I can tell, no good reason. Perhaps you have different
information?

Rgds,
-drc

http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/1548.html

William,

You are putting the ARIN staff in a quandary. The non-disclosure rules
that the ARIN staff operates under precludes us from discussing publicly
anything regarding any transaction between anyone and ARIN. In regards
to your stated issues with ARIN we have conducted an audit of all of
your transaction activities with ARIN for the past several years and are
prepared to discuss them with you in the appropriate private venue. We
feel to do otherwise is a violation of the trust that is placed with
ARIN by the members of the ARIN community.

Raymond A. Plzak
President & CEO

Jim Fleming

http://www.IPv8.info