[atlarge-discuss] Who is currently leading this effort?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M." <rdixon@cyberspaces.org>

http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00228.html
From: Vittorio Bertola
"ICANN is still the only entity which can create gTLDs of any kind..."
===

TLDs (or gTLDs) are not created, they already exist. Many are not used.

ICANN was created by the U.S. Government, during the Clinton Administration.
With respect to TLDs, the agreement was that a handful of Proof-of-Concept TLDs
would be added to the legacy root servers to prove that there was demand and that
the DNS would not crash. At the time, only a small number of TLDs were considered
to be ready for the Proof-of-Concept. .BIZ, .WEB, .NEWS, .XXX, .INC, and .SHOP
were expected to be approved in a matter of weeks. It took **years** for the I* society to
rework the deals and to let others move to the head of the line. During those years, delays
were introduced with the addition of the artificial Registrar "accreditation" process. Prior
to Registrars, webmasters, ISPs, lawyers, etc. accessed the Registry directly, with no need
for accreditation. In parallel with the ICANN accreditation approach, other companies have
added TLDs to the marketplace in parallel. People are beginning to see that they would rather
have a domain name they prefer, that is reachable by 185,000,000+ users, rather than a domain
name everyone can reach but no one desires or can easily remember.

The Proof-of-Concept expansion of the namespace continues. ICANN is no longer needed.

http://new.chat.new.net/viewtopic.php?t=118
DAY 9 (Thursday 05/01/03)
.INC

DAY 10 (Monday 05/05/03)
.SHOP
=============================

Once the 32-bit DNS is used to do the market tests (Proof-of-Concept) and to attract users who
desire names, the 128-bit DNS services can be started to build on those existing customer bases.
TLDs that are not popular will fade from the scene. They still exist, they are just not used. Eventually,
a working set of 2,048 Premium TLDs will emerge, based on selections (votes) in the free marketplace.
Those TLD managers can then divide up all of the management of the address spaces to increase their
revenues, to help make sure that TLDs are supported and funded.

ICANN and the RIRs are then simply the managers of the 0:0 .ARPA TLD and IN-ADDR.ARPA.
There can be 2,047 other competitors. The I* society does not want any competition. The world is
ignoring that and routing around the I* society.

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info