RE: [atlarge-discuss] Polling Commitee: your 50 chars texts

On 09:27 24/05/03, Joop Teernstra said:
At 05:19 p.m. 24/05/2003, Hugh Blair wrote:
Let's make sure the Internet is available for everyone.
Mr Blair, :)
What do you think about the Internet being available for convicts in jail?
This is an _excellent_ question.
Because it underlines that there is not such a thing as the "internet" except a concept.

You will excuse me to be somewhat long and technial. But _this is fundamental_ for all of us.

I explain. The internet, the way we think it, is a continuation of our system. And this is what it is: the "internetting" of our machine(s) with the rest of the world. This the way Bob Kahn, Vint Certf etc. built it, this is the way we (Tymnet and public international servies) interconnected it and supported its piping round the world. This is the way Jon Postel documented and managed it. But it is not the way Joe Sims, Louis Touton and Mike Roberts - and to some extent IAB - tought it.

Mike is retired. Joe is gone. Louis has resigned.

Yesterday, Paul Tawney has introduced a _verry_ odd ICANN staff organization which matches the spirit of 1984-RFC 920/1591, and may be our expectations. Quite far too soon to tell. But there is an indication.

What is important is there is an evolution whch give us back the internet as a "nets internetting". To understand let go into a quick understanding of the real architecture and the way it really work.

These internetted nets can be:
- hardware based : intranets - the machines of an organization: convicts can probably use it.
- software based : extranets - the systems are linked through the network. Convicts can probably use the systems of a company working wih the prison, with good security control.
- brainware based : l call them "externets". the virtual system of a community, of a ring. Usually identified through a common name, like ".museum" or ".aero".

Until now ICANN considered the whole world as a USG intranet. This is the US law 47 USG 230 (f)(1). Postel said otherwise and Tawney seems too. The real life is that each of us is an intranet, and each communication we have establish and extranet and every relation we have is an externet.

How does that work together? When two networks want to build end to end connexions together they must interconnect. The internetting is about the way such interconnects can be estabilshed easily.
- to use compatible protocols (TCP/IP family, GNP or Tymnet/X75 gateways in the past)
- to support addressing plans correpondance (IPv4, IPv6 lnog discussions about E.164)
- to use a compatible naming plan (in having mutual TLDs into each rootfile).
The agreement of 1984 organized the gateways, the addressing plan and defined the legacy name space so ARPANET names would not conflict with International Public Monopolies names.

Today these interconnects to icannet are managed the same. Let consider my personal system.
- on my intranet I can use http://jefsey - actually (Uniname plan under work) I will use http://jefsey.h with a single letter private TLD.
- on my extranet (using my own root system for my own stystem accesses the same as icannet does) I can use http://jefsey.morfin
- when I must use icannet controlled resources, I need to be on the ICANN root, and I will use http://jefsey.morfin.org

So one sees that to interconnect I may either register with ICANN at ICANN root level or register at any TLD registry. This is documented by Jon Postel in RFC 920. If your net targets more than 500 registrants from various organization you can register a TLD. If it targets more than 50 you can register as a SLD.

Now, for us today. It means that our community externets (example atlarge.ws) can develop and become a member of Intlnet (http://intlnet.org) to dialog with ITU, ccTLDs, GAC, ICANN and if large enough to become a TLD by its own.

jfc