[atlarge-discuss] The Rights and Responsibilities of Voting...

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Ron Sherwood wrote:

> Walter Schmidt wrote:
>
> > From my point of view, if you do not vote for 11, and vote (say) for
> > only four, all you are doing is letting someone else determine who are
> > the "other 7"
> >
> > The concept of a "bullet vote" sounds like a concept one might foist
> > on a group in an attempt to "steal the majority" of seats.
>
> Exactly, Walter:
>
> If there are 100 candidates, 90 of whom I do not know enough about to
> want them to represent me on our Panel, why would you want me to damage
> your chance if electing a candidate that YOU want to be on the Panel,
> simply because I am expected to vote for 11 people?

   ...Again, I am not a statistician...

You have 11 votes - if you use only 4 (keeping with my original example),
you allow others to have a "louder" voice which could result in 4 people
getting 150 votes and 7 getting 2 - all elected.

I believe we also differ on the responsibilities that go along with the
right to vote - read on...

> You may really want # 99 but I, and possibly a few others, may vote for
> #98, not because we think she is the right person but because you feel
> that we have to vote for 11 candidates.

   ...not what I am suggesting, and not something I would ever recommend

> That my friend is democracy.

   ...no it's not - it's the lazy persons way around doing what is
"required" - exercising not just the right, but also the responsibilities
of voting - again read on

> Please explain to me how this could possibly amount to "stealing the
> majority of seats".

   ...first let's talk about the responsibilities associated with the
right to vote.

The "right to vote" is not just the voting, but includes the whole
process. We decided to elect 11. We used a process that did not provide
most of us with 11 "known-or-recommended names" - shame on us.

I, as a voter with 11 votes and as part of the organization which has
allowed itself to be in this situation, now have the responsibility to do
what I must to "know" enough about 11 candidates to vote for them. Yes,
that means work on my part - searches, reading, etc. Do I want to do this,
no. But, my right to vote includes certain responsibilities - if I do no
care to vote responsibly, I should not vote at all.

One of these responsibilities, in our organization as we have defined the
process, is to knowingly vote for 11 candidates - to do less, by one's
actions or lack of action, is to fail in one's
right-to-vote-responsibilities, ...

   ...and shame on you!

--

 ---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
 - -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---