Re: [atlarge-discuss] Is This The Party To Whom I Am Speaking...

The clear and simple fact is that Joop's first Poll (at the time when
Vittorio was leaning our organisation towards ALAC and the RALOs and the
Panel was threatening to take us where we did not wish to go) attracted more
votes than the preceding election for the panel had attracted. That it is a
simple historical fact.

That Poll - which was distributed not to a minority but to almost the entire
membership - had therefore as strong a mandate as any election of panelists.
It was the People of this organisation speaking.

It was far more reliable in its clear expression of members' wishes than the
renegade panel which was failing to get quorums, which was drifting towards
ALAC and which basically was not operating in a way which set us on the
course we needed to go.

I totally accept that this mechanism needs support, safeguards, a formal
constitutional role. But the fact remains that it can't be marginalised as
glibly as some people have tried to marginalise it.

It has already been a strong expression of our democratic will. It can
become a stronger expression still. I repeat: more people participated in
that Poll than in the election. It was not some small clique at all. It was
a strong expression of the People. And the People said they wanted the Poll,
regularly, and they wanted to use it. (They also showed huge mistrust for
ALAC, for ICANN, for the RALOs.)

ICANN would prefer everything to be contained within panels and committees
and delegates. But the grassroots views are far stronger than these
delegates... far more critical of ICANN... and the grassroots are right to
be sceptical... it is right that power and decision-making for the At Large
is rooted right down there at the bottom... the minute you lose sight of
that, you are on the road to ICANN-LAND.

yrs,

Richard Henderson