RE: [atlarge-discuss] Watchdog members (fwd)

  ...oops, incorrectly addressed, my fault, sorry

--- REgards, walts

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Walter Schmidt <walts@dorsai.org>
To: Bruce Young <bruce@barelyadequate.info>
Cc: Walter Schmidt <walts@dorsai.org>
Subject: RE: [atlarge-discuss] Watchdog members

On Fri, 30 May 2003 bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:

> Joanna Lane wrote:
>
> | I believe one of the mistakes being made in this election,
> | is not forwarding the ballots in their raw state to,
> | Watchdogs instead stripping them of any ID.
>
> The ID is not stripped, only the name.  The voter's unique Voter ID is
> being preserved, and that is what the watchdogs are cueing on to detect
> duplicates.  There is no need for them to know the name.  All they need
> to know is Voter ID to ensure it's a unique vote.  This preserves the
> anonymity of the voter, while ensuring the uniqueness of the votes.

   ...I do not think so - with a name, it can be checked against a roster,
with an anonymous number, yes, you can ensure it is unique, but you do not
know if it is a valid members vote, or something else...without actual
member identity, uniqueness does not ensure validity.

--

 ---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
 - -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---