RE: [atlarge-discuss] Watchdog members (fwd)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Abel Wisman wrote:

> Uhhh sorry but if the list of names = a list of numbers then the numbers
> CAN be used in this case, unless of course I am missing something here.
>
> What happened to my understanding is that every name got a number, those
> numbers are returned and checked without the watchdogs knowing what
> number is what name, which is the same method used previously.

    ...but

In the past, a copy of every vote also went directly to the watchdogs,
name intact.  I, and my fellow watchdogs, were able to easily ensure
(accuracy & completeness in that):
 - John Doe was a valid member
 - Only one vote was counted from John Doe
 - That our totals, both by candidate and overall, were the "same"

There were other things we did - I used a spreadsheet.

Once you remove the identity, and do not receive the eMail directly, at
the least you now have to control (control not just accept it as
correct - accurate and complete), and to name just four processes:
 - Generation of "numbers"
 - Chain of Custody - all transaction points
 - Completness of "numbers" counted
 - Validity of "numbers" counted

And, these controls need to be checked-as-to-working at various stages of
the process, such as:
 - Generation
 - Mailing
 - Receipt
 - Forwading
 - Counting
 - Summarization
 - Reporting
 - Error correction

Further, and again since the names were removed and the ballots not
received by the watchdogs directly, you are no longer able to maintain
control by JUST manual procedures. You have gone from a "simple process"
to a "complex process" that includes "automated procedures." Your "checks
and balances" must include tests/control-over all, significant, automated
procedures.

The controls over, and testing of automated procedures include, again to
name just four:
 - Does it do what it is supposed to do
 - Does it handle errors
 - Does it prevent tampering
 - Is it the one that was/is used

Abel -

In the past, by maintaining the name and providing watchdog
direct-receipt, manual review procedures were simple and enough - with
what is being done this time - tain't so...

--

 ---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
 - -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---