[atlarge-discuss] Re: FC: North Carolina cops may have lied, posed as FBI cybercrime agents

Declan and all fellow members,

  Thanks for posting this Declan.  Very interesting.  Please
if you have the time also thank Ben Brunk Phd for providing
this interesting story and info.  I hope that some of the
members at ICANNATLARGE.ORG will take the time
and effort to read this and learn from the very good
lesson it provides.

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> ---
>
> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 14:20:03 -0400
> From: Ben Brunk
> To: declan@well.com
> Subject: I think this will interest many politech readers
>
> Please remove my e-mail address if you post this, thanks.
>
> Chapel Hill High School student's blog becomes subject of "FBI" investigation
> http://indyweek.com/durham/current/triangles.html
> http://www.upsaid.com/erinrocksout/index.php
> http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/2579239p-2393565c.html
>
> Ms. Carter should know that anything she puts up on a website is accessible
> to everyone in the world.  Ignoring the fact that she suffers the
> consequences for choosing to publish her diary to the world and thus not
> protect her own privacy, what I find troubling about this story is that
> local police are identifying themselves as federal agents merely because
> they've been recruited into a federal cybercrime task force. This news
> conforms with many other accounts of the disastrous results associated with
> the federalization of police forces around the country.  We have substance
> prohibition to thank for this.
>
> The chilling of free speech is always a reason for concern.  As with TIA,
> cyercrime investigators have a high probability of targeting the innocent
> simply due to the fact that there are only a tiny handful of miscreants in
> the world.  It is hypocritical (but not very surprising) for a town that is
> such a celebrated bastion of liberalism to be involved in questionable
> federal programs that lead to problems for its citizens.  If they are sworn
> local police officers, they are bound by North Carolina laws, as well as
> the state and US Constitutions, both of which prohibit secret searches.
> That piece of garbage called the PATRIOT Act does not preempt the Bill or
> Rights, and police shouldn't pretend that it does.  Also, it is no trivial
> matter that local police are enforcing federal laws.  There was already a
> US Supreme Court decision with regards to the Brady Act (gun background
> checks), that determined that local police cannot (voluntarily or not)
> enforce federal laws without compensation.  There are probably more
> relevant decisions that I am unaware of.  I'm sure in this case there is
> some convoluted legal veneer of justification for it all, but that isn't
> going to be much comfort if more and more outrageous incidents take place.
> If local police are unaccountable to local leaders and the citizens they
> SERVE, what have we got?
>
> Ben Brunk, PhD

    Pierre Abelard