RE: [atlarge-discuss] Membership fees

Richard Henderson wrote:

|  A kilogram of rice does not have the same intrinsic value everywhere,
|  because if I go without rice for a few days, I've still got cereal,
|  potatoes, vegetables, wine, sweets, desserts, all kinds of extras.

Richard, Richard. That wan't my point and you know it.  The price of food
staples is tied closely to the local economy.   By tying our fee to a
staple, we tie it to the local economy.  And yes, a kilogram of rice *does*
have the same intrinsic value everywhere: it fills your belly equally
regardless where you bought it, or how much you paid for it.  What you may
or may not fill it with alternatively is immaterial to our process .

But for the sake of your argument, if we don't charge dues, what are your
specific plans, in lieu of dues, to raise funds for this organization?
Because we will surely need them!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info