RE: [atlarge-discuss] Proposal: How to Replace Panel Members...

An afterthought for those concerned about the Panel appointing a temporary
replacement for those panelists who cannot continue for one reason or
another...this is exactly how John Major became prime Minister of England
after a vote of no confidence in Margaret Thatcher. This was an appointment
by the labour party that was not referred back to the electorate until the
end of the election term, when he was ousted by Tony Blair. In other words,
in England (unlike the US), the electorate are voting first and foremost for
the party, not the person.  It's worth remembering this when you're reading
about Tony Blair getting grief for missing weapons of mass destruction - you
see unlike Bush - he can be replaced at any time.  This is a good thing
IMHO, so I agree with Walter Schmidt, it's the right thing to do now, but in
any case, there is no conflict with  "next in line", if the panel just
appoint Mauro, who seems well qualified and enthusiastic, at least from
where I'm sitting.

Joanna