[FYI] (Fwd) First Echelon Source

Date sent:      	Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:17:03 -0500
To:             	cryptography@c2.net
From:           	John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject:        	First Echelon Source

Making history: the original source for the 1988
first Echelon report steps forward

London, Friday 25 February, 2000

By Duncan Campbell

In the circumstances of the extensive worldwide
political and media attention that is currently
focussed on the Echelon communications surveillance
network, I wish to pay tribute to the person who
first alerted the United States legislature and
the world to the existence of Echelon.

Following the presentation of my report on Echelon
and related Sigint systems to the European Parliament
in Brussels earlier this week, my principal original
source has said that she may be identified.

I published the first-ever report about Echelon in
the British political weekly New Statesman on 12
August 1988. The information about Echelon in that
report came principally from Margaret Newsham, a
computer systems manager who is now in retirement.

Margaret Newsham, better known as Peg, was formerly
employed by a contractor at the National Security
Agency Field Station at Menwith Hill, Yorkshire,
England.

Now - finally - 12 years late, CBS has invited her
to repeat the information we first published in 1988
on their programme Sixty Minutes, to be shown on
Sunday evening, 27 February.

-----

Full article:

   http://cryptome.org/echelon-mndc.htm