[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FYI] (Fwd) LICRA is suing Yahoo! Inc. in France for nazi items auctions
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [FYI] (Fwd) LICRA is suing Yahoo! Inc. in France for nazi items auctions
- From: "Axel H Horns" <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:37:10 +0100
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Comments: Sender has elected to use 8-bit data in this message. If problems arise, refer to postmaster at sender's site.
- Organization: PA Axel H Horns
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
------- Forwarded message follows -------
Date sent: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 02:02:14 +0200
Send reply to: Law & Policy of Computer Communications
From: François-Régis Levol <fr.levol@FREE.FR>
Subject: LICRA is suing Yahoo! Inc. in France for nazi items auctions
>De : "Carl M. Kadie" <kadie@EFF.ORG>
>A : CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
>Objet : [C|Net] Canadian group urges Amazon, etc to ban books
>Date : Jeu 13 avr 2000 23:05
> The Green Party of Canada says that Amazon.com and
> Barnesandnoble.com should stop selling books like "The Turner
> Diaries" and "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" to Canadians.
Selling Hitler's Mein Kampf in an e-supermarket is already very
repelling for a european but does Amazon.com need to publish "4 stars"
rewiews writen by nazi readers ? Was it worth losing so many US lifes
at D-Day in 1944 ? Jeff Bezos says : "Heil $$ !".
In France, the LICRA (Ligue Intenational Contre le Racisme et
l'Antisémitisme) is suing Yahoo! (USA). Yahoo! Auctions in the USA is
showing nazi items on auctions (a copy of SS Dachau cuff-band for $15,
SS Hitler-Jungend helmet for $250...).
In France, showing, broadcasting or wearing nazi propaganda (except in
historical expo, movies and plays) is a criminal offence. The french
criminal code is enforceable as soon as the propaganda can be viewed
in France. LICRA has asked Yahoo! that french users can't have access
to these auctions.
Yahoo Nazi Sales Protested
Seems there is a huge cultural gap about freedon of speech between
countries that have experienced nazi terror and those who haven't like
in the USA.
He Won't Join Amazon's 'Kampf'
by Steve Kettmann
------- End of forwarded message -------