[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FYI] HGP und GPL
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [FYI] HGP und GPL
- From: "Ralf Stephan" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:23:08 +0200
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Mail-Followup-To: email@example.com
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
Muster bilden sich...
Nature 20 April 2000
Nature 404, 809 (2000) © Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
Open-source work even more vital to genome project than to software
Sir - We note with dismay and alarm the controversy concerning access,
distribution and patenting of the human genome sequence (Nature 404,
317; 2000 & Nature 404, 324; 2000). We wish to point out some
analogies between the human genome sequencing efforts and
'open-source' software development, which have implications for the
data-release policy of the public sequencing effort.
Unfortunately, the public genome-sequencing centres have not
distributed their 'source code' under a similar GPL licence in the
past. This has now allowed a commercial entity to incorporate these
data into a closed product with the apparent aim of market domination.