[FYI] More on DMCA

http://www.politechbot.com/p-01116.html

Associated Press threatens to sue over Elian pix parody
site

     Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:43:59 -0400
     To: politech@vorlon.mit.edu
     Subject: FC: Associated Press threatens to sue over Elian pix parody site
     From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
     Cc: dtomlin@ap.org, brad_king@wired.com

[It seems like we're seeing a two-tier copyright system emerge on the Net.
If you own your own server (as I do), or pay for hosting, you'll have a
better chance of fending off specious copyright claims. For instance, if my
coloc provider were to pull the plug on my server -- not that I think they
would -- they'd better have a bloody good reason. But if you have a free
web site on Geocities, watch out. Even online, or especially online, you
get what you pay for. --Declan]

*******

Wazzup? Not Elián Web Parody
by Brad King

11:25 a.m. Apr. 27, 2000 PDT
The latest in a quick string of "Wazzup" commercial website parodies --
this one a takeoff of last weekend's Elián Gonzalez drama -- is history.

The Associated Press, which holds the copyright to the now-famous picture
of an armed agent about to seize the 6-year-old Cuban boy from a caretaker,
has threatened legal action against the creator of the Internet-based
animation.

Although site creator Sean Bonner took down the site, he did not slink away
quietly.

[...]

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH
Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany, +49 431 386 436 00