[FYI] More on BT Hyperkinks

http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,334956,00.htm

------------------------------ CUT ----------------------------------

Pioneer got £1 for hyperlink discovery

E-finance: special report BT

Neil McIntosh Thursday

June 22, 2000

When the next list of net pioneers graces the pages of an
influential, glossy magazine, one name might stand out as rather odd,
because 73-year-old Desmond Sargent is no pony-tailed dot.com
billionaire, nor is he a tech-talking academic.

But Mr Sargent can, according to US patent 4,873,662, claim to have
invented one of the world wide web's building blocks. His work for
the Post Office in 1976 led to a crucial breakthrough by creating
"hyperlinks" - the technology that allows web users to move from one
page to another by clicking on text or pictures.

The patent is now the property of BT, which analysts say will reap
hundreds of millions of pounds from Mr Sargent's work."I can't see me
making much money out of it - I was an employee of BT at the time,"
he says. "American law says the chap who writes the patent actually
has to have a dollar. So all you get is a dollar.

[...]