[FYI] Free Riding on Gnutella

http://www.parc.xerox.com/istl/groups/iea/papers/gnutella/FreeRidingA.html

Oder "Warum die Musikindustrie nicht obsolet ist".

Kristian

Free Riding on Gnutella
Eytan Adar and Bernardo A. Huberman

Internet Ecologies Area
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Abstract

An extensive analysis of user traffic on Gnutella shows
a significant amount of free riding in the system. By sampling
messages on the Gnutella network over a 24-hour period, we
established that 70% of Gnutella users share no files,
and 90% of the users answer no queries. Furthermore, we found
out that free riding is distributed evenly between
domains, so that no one group contributes significantly more
than others, and that peers that volunteer to share files are
not necessarily those who have desirable ones. We argue that
free riding leads to degradation of the system
performance and adds vulnerability to the system. If this
trend continues copyright issues might become moot
compared to the possible collapse of such systems.

Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE AG Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel
Tel: +49 431 386 436 00, Fax: +49 431 386 435 99
Using PHP3? See our web development library at http://phplib.netuse.de/