[FYI] NSA Releases High Security Version Of Linux

tytso writes: "I recently attended a DARPA workshop which
focused on high security open source operating systems".
[...]

While I was at this workshop, I met some folks from the NSA
and they told me about a really neat project that they've
been working on, called Security-enhanced Linux.
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
[...]

The NSA folks just recently got permission to make their
stuff available on the Web. It's just a proof of concept,
and no doubt a lot of changes will need to made before people
will accept integrating it into the kernel, but they have
released a working system (both kernel and userspace patches
--- RPM's aren't quite ready yet) based on Linux 2.2 and
RedHat 6.1. So it's definitely worth a look, and in fact some
folks with specialized needs might find it useful, even
though it's a prototype.

Of course, the source code is all there, and we're encouraged
to look at and audit the code. So paranoiacs who think that
the NSA is trying to infiltrate trap doors into the Linux
kernels needn't worry. (Besides, it's a different part of the
government who's interested in spying on U.S. citizens, and
it's much more efficient for them to break into your house,
and insert a wiretapping device between your computer and
your keyboard as part of a black bag job. :-)

[...]