[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Forwarding email without permission now illegal in AU

Date sent:      	Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:50:18 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Forwarding email without permission now illegal in Australia
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

**********

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:49:00 +1100 (EST)
From: Thomas Brinsmead <thomasee@syseng.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Sharing e-mail banned by law
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>

Declan,

A legal opinion from down under, on copyright protection for composers
of email. Appearing in the Sunday Telegraph in Australia: its a
tabloid paper and not necessarily what one would call a high-brow
newspaper publication.

The individual who wrote this gave me permission to forward the email
on, but I neglected to obtain permission for forwardees to to the
same.

---------------..........Z
Thomas Brinsmead,       0^0

Research Fellow,
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering,
Australian National University.
Canberra 0200 ACT Australia.
Ph:    +61-2-6125-8674
Fax:   +61-2-6125-8660
Email: thomas.brinsmead@syseng.anu.edu.au
WWW:   http://wwwsyseng.anu.edu.au/~thomasee/thomasee.html
``If, therefore, anyone wishes to search out the truth of all things
in earnest, he ought not to select one special science, for all the
sciences are cojoined and interdependent''- Descartes, Rules for the
Direction of the Mind, 1629