[FYI] March 12, 2001 meeting of the Council for the Single Market, Consumer Affairs and Tourism in Brussels: Fail to rech agree

http://www.eu2001.se/eu2001/news/news_read.asp?iInformationID=12901

------------------------------- CUT -------------------------------

Single EU patent crucial to business competitiveness

Date: 13/03/2001 Policy area: Internal market, consumer affairs and
tourism News item: Press release

“A single EU patent is vital to the modernisation of the European
Union. It is essential in today’s knowledge-based society that the EU
boost its competitiveness in the global arena,” said the Swedish
Minister for Trade, Leif Pagrotsky, in a comment following last
Monday’s meeting of the Council for the Single Market, Consumer
Affairs and Tourism in Brussels.

“The introduction of a single patent would make patent registration
in EU countries a great deal cheaper, simpler and quicker. This is
essential if European companies and inventors are not to lag behind
their international competitors.”

“It is therefore unfortunate that we were unable to reach agreement
on the need to hasten the process towards a single patent. A decision
would have meant that we are serious about making Europe the most
dynamic and competitive region in the world.”

“However, I hope this setback will give us something to think about,
and that it does not prevent us from introducing a single patent in
conformity with the timetable agreed on earlier,” said Mr Pagrotsky.

Contact information: Elisabeth Wallton Press Secretary
08-405 55 60
0708-67 39 86