[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Italian journalist praises registration, taxes for w

Date sent:      	Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:27:41 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Italian journalist praises registration, taxes for web sites
Copies to:      	dallomo@dallomo.com, online-news@planetarynews.com,
	cdaffara@mail.conecta.it, alfredo@nexus.org,
	isoc_forum@listserver.isoc.it, ita-pe@NIC.IT
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

*********
Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01913.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01911.html
*********

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:04:10 +0200
From: "sergio dallomo" <dallomo@dallomo.com>
To: online-news@planetarynews.com, ralph.hoefelmeyer@wcom.com,
declan@well.com Subject: Re: Politech- Italy reportedly requires news
sites to
   register, pay fees

Hi all,
Well, as a professional italian journalist (32 years in this job, so
far), I dare to define this message (and possible thread) pure
information terrorism and nasty disinformation. Everybody in Italy
will be able -now and in the future- to use the Internet as ever. My
friend Manlio Cammarata of "interlex.it" is a sharp guy and must be
read with the necessary precision, even if he is often bitter-speaking
and pessimistic (many italian intellectuals are when they speak of
their country). BUT, as ever in Italy, nobody can be a professional
journalist unless he got a public title for. In "this" country -please
or not- there are some very specific laws on public press. A
professional journalist must pass an official and formal examination
led by a national authority. Besides this, everybody can publish
whatsoever on papers. About the medium, any regular publication
(journalistic or not) in Italy must be registered at a Public Court
Registry, have an official director (not necessarily a professional),
a professional staff only in the case of a true news paper, and so. In
any way, an online news spread (of a journalistic kind) is journalism.
A web site that tries to cheat a shortcut to publish an online
newspaper (or news serials) must be registered as well as an analog
edition. Rules must be equal for everyone. This was in the interest of
the right of the citizens, the correct competition, the quality of the
news, the credibility of the informations, the reliability of sources,
etc. In Italy all journalists that bypass the VERY strict rules of the
profession are commonly lead to a trial and punished. Very often
banned from the profession. As wherever else, we are not saints, got
no intrinsic truth, are very corporative, got many privileges. And are
not loved, often hated. But here, many of us got a good deal of public
respect. Non journalist, for sure, can be upset. In Italy it works
that way, and most important, it works. Best.

------------------------------------
dott. Sergio M. Dall'Omo
Professional Journalist - New Media & New Techs senior editor
Professor of Digital Communication - DSIT - Architecture University -
Venice Digital Communication & New Media Strategy Consultant Founder
and Owner of the web show portal project "www.newmediabox.com"
dallomo@nemediabox.com dallomo@newmediamaster.com
sergio.dallomo@gazzettino.it dallomo@usa.net

*********