Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:04:31 +0200 (CEST)
From: PILCH Hartmut <phm@a2e.de>
To: Raible <raible@z.zgs.de>
Cc: "epo@mlist.austria.eu.net" <epo@mlist.austria.eu.net>
Subject: Re: Walzstabteilung causing headaches to BGH in 2000

> > Under
> >
> >         BGH-Beschluss Walzstabteilung 1980
> >         http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/papri/bgh-walzst80/
> >
> > you now find the German original and an English translation of a
> > decision of the German Federal Court which confirmed that a rule
> > of organisation and calculation does not become a technical invention
> > by the fact that it is executed on a computer, even if it serves to
> > control the cutting of rolling rods in an industrial manufacturing
> > context.  What is important is not whether the application of the
> > innovation is hardware or software, but whether natural forces are
> > at the core of the problem solution.
>
> Walzstabteilung is the prototype of a clever mechanical invention that could
> have been patented even at the times of James Watt.

I don't think so.

Your reasoning here reminds me of Mr. Teufel (IBM)'s current efforts at
persuading the BGH to patent rules for recognising the German Dative.
In his role as the devil's advocate, Teufel says exactly what you state
here:

	If at the time of James Watt someone had come up with a mechanical
	device that spits out a translation from German to English based
	on correct recognition of the dative, that would have been
	patentable.

I find this reasoning very amusing.
Not only because of the irrealistic element in it, but because people like
Mr. Teufel, addressing judges like Mr. Keukenschrijver, all of whom should
have some basic knowledge about the patent system, are assuming that
hardware is patentable.  I.e. that you get a patent just by registering
claims to a machine functionality at the patent office.

Need I really tell you that patents are awarded in return for the
disclosure of inventions, not for registry of claims ?

Apparently yes, and this is really frightening.

> Alfred Keukenschrijver, Judge at the German Bundesgerichtshof, in a
> lecture given at Munich on March 29, 2000, compared case law in the
> computer field to the Stone Age:

This must have greatly pleased the patent lawyers who listened to his
speech and who dominated the discussion in GRUR during the previous years.
We sent our public letter to Mr. Keukenschrijver in summer 2000.
Some enlightening GRUR articles started appearing in 2001.

> "One may differentiate three periods in the decisions of the
> Bundesgerichtshof, including certain transitory effects, namely a kind
> of paleolithic period, a mesolithic period, and a neolithic period, of
> course with regard to computer programs.

> He then summarizes:
>
> Paleolithic period 1976 - 80
> Dispositionsprogramm and Antiblockiersystem are the most important.
> Flugkostenminimierung also belongs here. "This was quite a restrictive period.
> Patent protection was only possible for technical programs, whatever that may
> be."

I would refer to that as the classical age.
As to what "technical programs" are, that is a question opened by the
Antiblockiersystem decision and answered clearly by Krasser's

	Lehrbuch des Patentrechts
	http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/papri/krasser86/

and by patent law commentaries of the time:  on the one hand side any
programmed process running on a computer is technical.  On the other there
is usually no technical invention in such a process.  There can
theoretically be one in there (as there can be one in an instruction to
use a well known machine), but in such cases the normal way to go would be
to claim a hardware process and not a program.

In making this appear unclear and paleolithic, Keukenschrijver
showed disrespect to the BGH's jurisdiction, apparently in an effort to
please a patent lawyer audience which for years had muddled the concepts,
not understood the BGH jurisdiction and not wanted to understand it.

> Walzstabteilung is from 1980 and thus paleolithic, and he cites it as
> an "extreme case". "To me, this always was the decision which I had
> the greatest difficulty in understanding." (This is Judge-speak and
> means that the decision was plain wrong.)

It may be a mixture between judge-speak and patent lawyer junk talk,
meaning:  this decision was very clear and lucid, and we therefore need
some way to avoid taking it seriously, so we can push our common agenda
undisturbed by it.

> Mesolithic period "This was a period of marked change. "Seitenpuffer",
> "Chinesische Schriftzeichen", a special case, and "Tauchcomputer" were
> cases where a change of direction occurred."

> Neolithic period "We now are in the third period which still is
> somewhat in haze, but I think if one waits a few months and looks at
> things retrospectively, one will see that there have been quite
> considerable changes."

> Judge Keukenschrijver also refers to a decision "Betriebssystem" (Oct. 1990)
> issued by the 1st Senate (copyright) and which is more restrictive in its
> views.

> Just remember that we are still in the Stone Age, and wait until we
> enter the Bronze Age where dusting methods and banking tricks can be
> patented. Some banks will even call this the Golden Age...

Thank you for saying it so clearly!
In the iron age then I guess even nice lines of arguing such as that of
Mr. Keukenschrijver and the one presented by you will be patentable!

I gather from this speech that Keukenschrijver and his patent lawyer peer
group views both the existing laws and the concept of technical invention
as something from the stone-age and has higher goals in mind.

> Sincerely
> Hans Raible

> As a bilingual service, quoted below are the words of the judge in his
> mother tongue:

Very interesting indeed, thank you.

What is most interesting is that again Keukenschrijver explains that the
BGH has never applied Art 52 EPC / Par 1 PatG but always relied
exclusively on its own understanding of what is technical and now treats
even this understanding as a kind of stone-age philosophy serving only as
a transition to a world of unlimited patentability.

Mr. Keukenschrijver is of course correct, when he labels new BGH reasoning
of the "Seitenpuffer" and "Logikverifikation" type as "stone-age".  Maybe
he is aware of the hopeless and shameful confusion found in those
decisions, and he trying to alleviate the guilt by spreading the stone-age
label onto everything that has been done in this field, including the
clear and shining Dipositionsprogramm and Walzstabteilung decisions and of
the existing law. This is in fact a frequent tactic of the guilty.  20
years ago, when called to its responsibility for the mess it had created
in China, the Communist Party authorities consistently talked about the
bad traditions of China and the fact that it was still a not-modernised
feudalistic society.  The existence of a modern alternative in Taiwan was
therefore the greatest taboo for them.

This makes the Dispositionsprogramm and Walzstabteilung reasoning only
more important and admirable.  It shows that this reasoning hits right
into the center of the bad conscience of law-contempting judges even
today. Keukenschrijver and others have led the patent system into the
crisis against which his colleagues warned in 1976:

   The caselaw has characterised the notion of technology by its relation
   to the world of phenomena, contrasting with the world of
   reasoning/mind. According to the Wettschein (betting certificate)
   decision of the Federal Court, a technical invention is present, if an
   instruction is given to solve a technical problem by using specific
   technical means to achieve a technical result. In the Rote Taube (red
   dove) decision, this court generalised this definition so as to
   accomodate other natural forces than those of physics and chemistry,
   e.g. those of biology. However in all cases the plan-conformant
   utilisation of controllable natural forces has been named as an
   essential precondition for asserting the technical character of an
   invention. As shown above, the inclusion of human mental forces as
   such into the realm of the natural forces, on whose utilisation in
   creating an innovation the technical character of that innovation is
   founded, would lead to the consequence that virtually all results of
   human mental activity, as far as they constitute an instruction for
   plan-conformant action and are causally overseeable, would have to be
   attributed a technical meaning. In doing so, we would however de facto
   give up the concept of the technical invention and extend the patent
   system to a vast field of achievements of the human mind whose essence
   and limits can neither be recognized nor overseen.

   It can furthermore be argued with good reasons that, given the
   unanimity with which the jurisdiction and the legal literature have
   always insisted on limiting the patent system to technical inventions,
   the above reasoning constitutes a theorem of customary patent law.

   Whether we want to postulate such a theorem is however not essential
   for this discussion, because also from a purely objective point of
   view the concept of technical character seems to be the only usable
   criterion for delimiting inventions against other human mental
   achievements, for which patent protection is neither intended nor
   appropriate. If we gave up this delimitation, there would for example
   no longer be a secure possibility of distinguishing patentable
   achievements from achievements, for which the legislator has provided
   other means of protection, especially copyright protection. The system
   of German industrial property and copyright protection is however
   founded upon the basic assumption that for specific kinds of mental
   achievements different specially adapted protection regulations are in
   force, and that overlappings between these different protection rights
   need to be excluded as far as possible. The patent system is also not
   conceived as a reception basin, in which all otherwise not legally
   privileged mental achievements should find protection. It was on the
   contrary conceived as a special law for the protection of a delimited
   sphere of mental achievements, namely the technical ones, and it has
   always been understood and applied in this way.

   Any attempt to attain the protection of mental achievements by means
   of extending the limits of the technical invention -- and thereby in
   fact giving up this concept -- leads onto a forbidden path. We must
   therefore insist that a pure rule of organisation and calculation,
   whose sole relation to the realm of technology consists in its
   usability for the normal operation of a known computer, does not
   deserve patent protection. Whether it can be awarded protection under
   some other regime, e.g. copyright or competition law, is outside the
   scope of our discussion.