[FYI] (Fwd) Another Cryptography Paper suppressed by the DMCA

Date sent:      	Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:26:47 -0700
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications
             	<CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	"Jon O ." <jono@MICROSHAFT.ORG>
Subject:        	Another Cryptography Paper suppressed by the DMCA
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

Here is Ferguson's actual response and position.

----- Forwarded message -----

To: dmca_discuss@lists.microshaft.org
Subject: [DMCA_discuss] Cryptography Paper suppressed from the DMCA
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:13:44 -0700

Niels Ferguson has found a weakness in the HDCP content
protection system. However, he can not publish the
results due to DMCA issues.

He has written a paper regarding this issue here:

Censorship in action:
why I don't publish my HDCP results
http://www.macfergus.com/niels/dmca/index.html

<quote>
HDCP is fatally flawed. My results show that an experienced IT person
can recover the HDCP master key in about 2 weeks using four computers
and 50 HDCP displays. Once you know the master key, you can decrypt
any movie, impersonate any HDCP device, and even create new HDCP
devices that will work with the 'official' ones. This is really,
really bad news for a security system. If this master key is ever
published, HDCP will provide no protection whatsoever. The flaws in
HDCP are not hard to find. As I like to say: "I was just reading it
and it broke." </quote>

----- End forwarded message -----