[FYI] (Fwd) Re: DT article

Date sent:      	Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:32:18 +0100
To:             	ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk
From:           	Bruce Tober <tbt@star-dot-star.co.uk>
Subject:        	Re: DT article
Send reply to:  	ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk

In message <1000479062.15751.59.camel@gaspode.localnet>, Nigel
Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk> writes
>On Fri, 2001-09-14 at 09:00, Neil McEvoy wrote:
>> From article by Jihn Keegan, in today's Daily Telegraph:
>
>Finally I found the URL with whole article in it
>   http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?pg=/01/9/14/do01.html

Since that link didn't work for me, here's part of the article and a
link that did work for me:

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2001%2F09%2F
13 %2Fwkeeg13.xml

 Military response may target technology
(Filed: 13/09/2001)

John Keegan, Defence Editor, looks at the options available to the
Bush administration

PRESIDENT BUSH has announced that the United States will take military
action against those who have perpetrated the "acts of war" which led
to the destruction of the World Trade Centre. He has not specified a
time, nor has he threatened any particular geographical target.

There lies the difficulty. Acts of war have been committed but the
enemy is waging not war but "asymmetrical warfare", a form of violence
which apparently cannot be matched by conventional military response.

snip

At the outer limits of the effort to restore symmetry to war-making,
it is possible to glimpse what might be thought an almost
inconceivable military measure: interference with electronic
communications.

The internet and the mobile telephone have become so central to
everyday life that it might be thought impossible to carry on without
either. It should be remembered, however, that neither existed 20
years ago and the world managed perfectly well.

Pessimistic intelligence analysts have always warned that the
development of completely free communication, beyond government
control, could easily give rise to evil consequences.

So it undoubtedly has in this case. The mobile telephone and email,
probably encrypted, must have been the means by which the atrocities
were co-ordinated.

The American intelligence community must undoubtedly now be
considering measures to take management of radio telephone
communications under state control, and the distributors of email as
well.

Those who will not obey would suffer the consequences, for their
installations do indeed provide conspicuous and fragile targets.

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2001.

--
| Bruce Tober, <tbt@star-dot-star.co.uk>,           Freelance
Journalist, | |               My Website
<http://www.star-dot-star.co.uk/>              | | Birmingham, UK, EU
+44-780-374-8255 (Mobile) +44-1562-638-704 (Landline)| |
                    | |      War is not a good thing for children or
other living things        | |                                   | |
   When Crypto is Criminalised Only Criminals will have Crypto