[FYI] (Fwd) FC: U.K. government asks Net providers to record, store

Date sent:      	Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:45:13 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: U.K. government asks Net providers to record, store all data
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/029760.htm

LONDON (AP) British authorities have asked all phone companies and
Internet service providers to preserve communications data stored
Tuesday in case they contain important clues to the identity of the
terrorists who attacked Washington and New York. The National
High-Tech Crime Unit, set up earlier this year to fight crime related
to information technology, said data stored Tuesday may hold vital
evidence about those responsible for the devastating attacks on the
World Trade Center and Pentagon. ``By working swiftly to contact the
communications service providers in the U.K., I hope that we will be
able to offer valuable assistance to U.S. authorities in investigating
the appalling events of recent days,'' said Detective Chief
Superintendent Len Hynds, head of the London-based unit. [...]