Call to arms - INFORMATION ANARCHY

>From: Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA (Russ)
>Newsgroups: netuse.lists.ntbugtraq
>Subject: Call to arms - INFORMATION ANARCHY
>Date: 2 Nov 2001 22:45:11 +0100

The following message was received from the poster. I'm sending it on that
person's behalf.

> Please read the attached text file and help support this cause.
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> "I don't intend to offend, I offend with my intent"
>
> hellNbak@nmrc.org
> http://www.nmrc.org/~hellnbak

A Step Towards Information Anarchy: A Call To Arms
by hellNbak <hellNbak@nmrc.org>

Recently, Scott Culp of Microsoft's Security Response Team released the
following paper:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/columns/s
ecurity/noarch.asp.

Since the suspiciously timed release of this paper, rumors are that
Microsoft has been contacting the management of various research groups to
discuss with them their disclosure policies and how to fall into the new
Microsoft line of thinking.  Unfortunately, I have not been privy to any of
these discussions with Microsoft, but one can only guess that their
intentions are not pure.  I am not going to write another rant on why I
think Microsoft is out to lunch and how I know for a fact that they would
like to force legitimate security research into the grave and return to the
days of not spending money on security, but I am going to write a rant on
what I think the research community needs to do to help Microsoft and all
vendors see the light.  Make no mistake about it - Full Disclosure is in
clear and present danger of being stomped out by vendors like Microsoft.

Back in the day, groups like ADM, Rhino9, L0pht, and w00w00 would
responsibly release advisories with complete details and proof-of-concept
code.  Security was improving, vendors continued to get the message that
their software had better be secure, and that they would be forced to deal
with serious security issues.  Or did they?  Unfortunately, it seems the
only message that the software vendors learned was that security issues are
expensive, and while money should be spent convincing the public that the
vendors care about security issues, the full disclosure community needs to
be crushed so that things can go back to business as usual.  To Microsoft
and vendors like them, security is not a technical or a developmental issue;
it is merely a marketing issue that can be - and is - leveraged for press
time.

Unfortunately, today, Rhino9 is no longer and ADM has been quite quiet -
keeping things to themselves no doubt.  L0pht is now a consulting
organization and w00w00 has also been very, very quiet.  To add to the
problems, we have groups and people like Georgi Guninski, who while
releasing some very interesting research and proof-of-concept code, refuse
to do it in a responsible manner, giving the vendors all the ammunition they
need to attack the full disclosure community.

So how do we fix what seems to be broken beyond repair?  How do we take the
power away from the software vendors and return it to the research
community?  My answer is: INFORMATION ANARCHY.  Microsoft likened
researchers - not criminal hackers or script kiddies - to terrorists holding
software companies at ransom and being irresponsible by releasing
proof-of-concept code.  Microsoft claims that we are in a state of
"Information Anarchy" and that the research community must be stopped. Do we
really want to return to the olden days when vendors knew they could ignore
security issues?  I say no; it has to stop and the only way to stop it is to
demonstrate to Microsoft and the world what _true_ Information Anarchy is.
I propose that everyone who is involved in security research and supports
full disclosure steps up research efforts and releases those issues that
they have been sitting on.  Let's flood the security department of every
vendor with new issues.  Let's show the world what they would miss and what
information could just as easily have stayed in the underground rather than
be posted to Bugtraq or Vulnwatch.

Before you go out and start releasing all your zero-days, I do caution this
with the recommendation that we all put in the effort to coordinate with
vendors before releasing the advisories.  I do not mean you should sit on
something for 90 days until the vendor decides to fix it, but I do think
that the vendor should be notified and given a set amount of time (30 days
to fix and 5 to respond, perhaps) to respond properly.  While we need to be
direct with our actions, we do need to exercise caution and responsibility.

Show your support for this movement; help us take the power back from the
vendors.  I am offering my free time to help anyone with a security issue to
report it to the vendor and craft an advisory.  I am also asking everyone
in the research community who supports full disclosure to release advisories
in support of what I am calling Information Anarchy 2K01.

We have had the lame, media-created defacement wars between script kiddies -
now it is time to wage a true war that will demonstrate our skills, and more
importantly, demonstrate to the vendors, the corporations, and the world,
what they are forcing into the underground.

I am not asking anyone to do anything illegal, I do not want to see any
supportive defacements or hacks but I do want to see some supportive
advisories and research efforts.  Microsoft just spent the last few years
fighting for their "freedom to innovate" and now they are trying to take
ours.

For information, help, or comments please email hellnbak@nmrc.org.

BEST-OF-BREED ANTIVIRUS SOLUTION FOR MICROSOFT EXCHANGE 2000
Earn 5% rebate on licenses purchased for Trend Micro ScanMail for
Microsoft Exchange 2000 between October 1 and November 16. ScanMail
ensures 100% scanning of inbound and outbound traffic and provides
remote software management. For program details or to download your
30-day FREE evaluation copy:
http://www.antivirus.com/banners/tracking.asp?si=53&bi=245&ul=http://www.a
ntivirus.com/smex2000_rebate

--