From: Richard.SWETENHAM@cec.eu.int
To: quicklinks@yahoogroups.com, quicklinkshtml@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:27:36 +0100
Subject: EU Forum on Cybercrime, Brussels, 27 November 2001

distributed to the QuickLinks mailing list

EU FORUM ON CYBERCRIME
Plenary session, Brussels, 27 November 2001
Main topic: Retention of traffic data

On 27 November 2001, a plenary session will take place of the EU Forum
on Cybercrime, organised by the European Commission. The meeting will
take place from 9:30 to 17:30 h. in the Charlemagne Building, 170 rue
de la Loi, 1040 Brussels (Metro: Schuman).

If you are interested in participating, please send an e-mail with
your name and organisation to INFSO-JAI-cybercrime-
comments@cec.eu.int. We expect to be able to accommodate all those
interested. However, it will be necessary to register prior to this
event via the e-mail address in order to be admitted to the building.
Registration closes on 25 November at midnight.

The main topic for discussion will be retention of traffic data. In
addition, the European Commission will present a proposal for a
Framework Decision on serious attacks against information systems,
provided that this proposal will have been officially adopted when the
meeting takes place.

There will be an opportunity for participants to make short statements
(5 minutes maximum) on the issue of data retention at the meeting.
Should you wish to make such a statement, please indicate this to the
e-mail address listed above, at the latest on 20 November. We expect
that there will be more people and organisations interested in making
statements, than we will have time-slots available at the meeting, and
the European Commission reserves the right to make a selection of
speakers. Speakers will be selected in such a way that there is a wide
and balanced representation of interest. Please send us the text of
your statement at the latest on 22 November, then we will distribute
it at the meeting.

It will also be possible to submit written statements. If you e-mail
us your contribution at the latest on 22 November, we will be able to
distribute it at the meeting. The Commission reserves the right not to
distribute any statements that are considered unsuitable or
inappropriate.

The European Commission services have written an informal discussion
paper on the issue of traffic data retention, which gives a background
introduction and lists questions that you may want to address in you
written or oral contributions.
http://europa.eu.int/information_society/topics/telecoms/internet/crime/wpap
nov/index_en.htm

We are looking for participants that cover the following interest
groups:

Network operators and service providers (including telecommunications
companies, mobile operators and Internet service providers),
Hardware manufacturers,
Content providers,
Law enforcement agencies,
Data protection authorities,
Justice and Home Affairs ministries,
Ministries dealing with information society issues,
Civil liberties organisations,
Consumer protection organisations,
Other relevant organisations.

http://europa.eu.int/information_society/topics/telecoms/internet/crime/foru