[FYI] (Fwd) [OFF-TOPIC] Google extends Usenet Archive to 20 years

Date sent:      	Tue, 11 Dec 2001 05:39:59 -0500
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications              <CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	Seth Finkelstein <sethf@MIT.EDU>
Subject:        	[OFF-TOPIC] Google extends Usenet Archive to 20 years
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

        Valuable list members, I beg your indulgence, but this is of
major historical interest:

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Google Groups
20 Year Usenet Archive Now Available

New! Google has fully integrated the past 20 years of Usenet archives
into Google Groups, which now offers access to more than 700 million
messages dating back to 1981. We believe this to be the most complete
collection of Usenet articles ever assembled and a fascinating
first-hand historical account.

To see for yourself the first posts detailing the World Wide Web,
Linux and Mosaic as well as other memorable moments, click on the
links below. If you come across other noteworthy historical posts
while mining the archive, please forward them to us at
usenet-timeline@google.com. We'll add the most interesting links to
the timeline below. Please note that while your own first post was
undoubtedly of great personal historical value, we will only be able
to include submissions of interest to a wide range of users.

[Note: They *are* missing stuff, as what was archived in the very
early days seems to be sparse. But this is still amazingly cool]

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf@sethf.com
http://sethf.com