[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Americans love surveillance, poll says: Spy on us, please!

Date sent:      	Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:56:46 -0500
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Subject:        	FC: Americans love surveillance, poll says: Spy on us, please!
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200112\NAT2
0011213a.html

   Most Americans Support Government Surveillance, Poll Says
   By John Rossomando
   CNSNews.com Staff Writer
   December 13, 2001

   (CNSNews.com) - Efforts by the ACLU and other civil liberties
   groups to turn public opinion against the president's
   anti-terrorism initiatives are falling on deaf ears, according to a
   poll conducted by Zogby International. "Despite the best efforts by
   the ACLU and other rights groups... the various anti-terrorist
   efforts by the president and the attorney general have strong
   public support," said pollster John Zogby, president and CEO of
   Zogby International. The Zogby poll indicates that 54 percent of
   Americans favor allowing telephone conversations to be monitored;
   80 percent favor allowing video surveillance of public places such
   as street corners; 67 percent favor roadblock searches of vehicles,
   and 67 percent favor having their mail monitored. John Zogby says
   he finds it "shocking" that Americans are willing to allow the
   government to have greater access to their personal lives in
   exchange for security. "We are in a moment where fear trumps other
   considerations," Zogby said. "Frankly, I guess I never thought
   [that] I would live to see the day when Americans would want their
   cars stopped and checked, or their mail monitored, but we certainly
   had that day."

   [...]