[FYI] (Fwd) Applied Digital pushes microchip to plant in foreigners

Date sent:      	Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:35:14 +0200 (EET)
From:           	Jei <jei@cc.hut.fi>
To:             	ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Copies to:      	Law & Policy of Computer Communications <CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>,
       	ainews <ainews@amnesty.org>, eurorights@eurorights.org
Subject:        	Applied Digital pushes microchip to plant in foreigners for tracking
Send reply to:  	ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk

Will the Brits take the lead in putting this into use (as well)?
I bet the football hooligans could use a few more chips...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:59:21 +0100
From: Mario Profaca <Mario.Profaca@zg.tel.hr>
To: "[Spy News]" <spynews@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Spy News] Applied Digital pushes microchip to plant in
foreigners for
    tracking

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/today/business_c3
12779d 0594902e00ee.html

Palm Beach Post
Thursday, December 20, 2001

Applied Digital pushes microchip to plant in foreigners for tracking

By Deborah Circelli, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

   PALM BEACH -- Today's security measures don't work very well, says
Richard Sullivan, pointing to the Sept. 11 terror attacks on New York
and Washington.

   He's says he's got a better idea: a microchip instead of a green
   card.
Foreigners who pass through customs or immigration could be injected
with the chip, allowing officials to monitor their activities better
and keep terrorists out.

   "Man today is more than ever converging with technology," said
Sullivan, who is CEO of the Palm Beach-based tech company Applied
Digital Solutions (Nasdaq: ADSX, 45 cents). "I think the positives
overwhelmingly overcome any small negatives. The government is more
prepared, for the overall benefit of our citizens, to advocate some of
these changes."

   Sullivan's company has high hopes for the implantable technology,
   which
it unveiled Wednesday. Until now, the microchips -- called VeriChips
-- have been used for tracking and identifying animals.

   Applied Digital has had a patent for such devices since 1999. The
   new
technology would make Applied Digital the first company in the nation
to sell microchips designed to be implanted in human beings.

   But privacy groups reacted with outrage Wednesday to Sullivan's
   idea
for monitoring foreigners. America is not that desperate, one group
said, citing a violation of "bodily integrity."

   "That is so unconstitutional," said Randall Marshall, legal
   director
for the Miami chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. "I can't
imagine this surviving a constitutional challenge. It just simply goes
way too far outside the realm of what we believe in as a society."

   Sullivan said the product will be marketed in January in South
   America
while the company seeks approval in the United States from the Food
and Drug Administration. Approval is expected in 18 months.

   A New Jersey surgeon who serves on the board of Owings, Md.-based
Medical Advisory Systems, which is about to combine with a subsidiary
of Applied Digital, injected himself with two of the VeriChips five
days after the terror attacks.

   Richard Seelig inserted the chips in his forearm and hip as part of
   the
clinical process Applied Digital will have to conduct to receive FDA
approval, Sullivan said. Seelig, 55, referred all questions Wednesday
to Sullivan but told the Los Angeles Times he felt compelled to have a
secure form of identification after Sept. 11.

   "I was so compelled by what had happened," Seelig told the Times.
   "One
of the potential applications suddenly jumped out -- the ability to
have a secure form of identification -- and I felt I had to take the
next step."

   The chips are about the size of a grain of rice and contain an
identification number or other data, such as medical information, and
a person's address and phone number.

   The chips have no internal power source. Their data can't be read
without a scanner close at hand. The next generation of body chips --
one that transmits signals from a distance -- is several years away.

   The chip is the same as the one Applied Digital's subsidiary uses
   in
more than 1 million animals, but the VeriChip can be used in humans
with a pacemaker, artificial heart valves or orthopedic knee devices.
If a patient needs help, a hospital can use a scanner to obtain
information.

   In five years, Sullivan said he can see the chips being used in
children, the elderly, prisoners, and by employers at facilities such
as airports and nuclear plants. Society in general could use them
instead of ATM or credit cards, he said.

   But Evan Hendricks, editor and publisher of Privacy Times, a
Washington, D.C.-based newsletter, said it's one thing for an
individual to choose to implant the device for medical purposes, but
it's crossing the line when parents start putting them in their
children or employers require them for employment.

   "This has been science fiction for most of our adult life, but now
   we
see the technology allows it," Hendricks said. "The problem is that it
is happening in a vacuum where there are not adequate privacy laws."

/Los Angeles Times contributed to this story./

mailto:deborah_circelli@pbpost.com

---
This mail, sent by Mario Profaca, is clean, certified Virus Free.
6.0.310 / Virus Database: 171 - Release Date: 19. 12. 01

---------------------~--> Send FREE Holiday eCards from Yahoo!
Greetings. http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/TySplB/TM
->

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
 Mario's Cyberspace Station  http://mprofaca.cro.net/mainmenu.html
=============================================================== ***
FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use
has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News
is making it available without profit to SPY NEWS eGroup members who
have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
in their efforts to advance the understanding of intelligence and law
enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques,
human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other intelligence
related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted
material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If
you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own
that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the
copyright owner. For more information go to:

 (one message a day) send a blank message:
 mailto:spynews-digest@yahoogroups.com

 Please note that replying to THIS e-mail
 will not remove you from the mailing list.
 To unsubscribe SPYNEWS send a blank message:

 Mario Profaca

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/