[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Sen. Burns blasts ICANN as "flawed, ineffective," wants hearings

Date sent:      	Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:43:24 -0500
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Subject:        	FC: Sen. Burns blasts ICANN as "flawed, ineffective," wants hearings
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Politech archive on ICANN:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=icann

and

"ICANN CEO proposes radical changes, more government involvement"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03175.html

---

   March 6, 2002

   The Honorable Ernest F. Hollings
   Chairman Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
   125 Russell Senate Building
   Washington, DC 20510-0001

   Dear Mr. Chairman:

   I am writing to formally request an oversight hearing regarding the
   Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

   Given the recent stunning admission by ICANN President Stuart Lynn
   that the organization has been mired in endless debates and missed
   deadlines, this hearing is extremely timely. In fact, Lynn went so
   far as to recommend comprehensive structural reform of ICANN, given
   that it is "losing sight of effectiveness in accomplishing our real
   mission."

   In the wake of such statements, I strongly believe it is time we
   re-visit the issue and find some solutions to the serious problems
   facing ICANN and the future of Internet governance. While ICANN is
   currently a fundamentally flawed and ineffective governing entity,
   proper oversight by the Committee could help redirect it back to
   its core mission of ensuring the stable and secure management of
   the Internet domain system. Obviously, more fundamental questions
   also need to be addressed, such as whether ICANN is even the most
   appropriate organization to be tasked with such a critical mission,
   which is central to our national security.

   Thank you for your consideration and your leadership as Chairman of
   the Senate Commerce Committee.

   Sincerely,

   Conrad Burns
   United States Senator