Should Geeks, Or Governments, Run the Net?

By Jonathan Krim,

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 14, 2002

Once again, the people who decide how the Internet is supposed to
function are not getting along. The Net is alight with e-flames, and
people from all over the world are in Accra, Ghana, this week,
arguing with the passion of parents at a Little League game.

Sometimes, what these relatively anonymous Internet gurus worry about
is impossibly geeky. Things like root servers, protocol parameters
and port numbers are critical to making sure we see the right Web
pages and get the right e-mail, and we're grateful for these people —
as long as they don't go into too much detail at parties.

[...]