[FYI] (Fwd) FW: IP: Karl Auerbach brought legal action against ICANN today

Date sent:      	Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:18:20 -0500
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications
             	<CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	Richard Forno <rforno@INFOWARRIOR.ORG>
Subject:        	FW: IP: Karl Auerbach brought legal action against ICANN today
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

>From the IP List.

-rf

-----Original Message-----
From: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@cavebear.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:41:54
To: David Farber <farber@linc.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: I brought legal action against ICANN today

As you know, I am a Director of ICANN.  And as you also know, I have
been trying to inspect ICANN's financial records (and other materials)
ever since I got onto the Board of Directors.  But ICANN has created
delays and obstacles - I've been stonewalled for nearly a year and a
half despite the fact that under California law I have the "absolute
right" to make such an inspection.

ICANN wants me to check my independent judgement at their door and
submit to ICANN managment's dictates when I come to inspect the
records. But I say that just as the mice are not in a position to
dictate the menu to the cat, corporate management is not in a position
to dictate to a Director how that Director shall exercise his or her
duty of making independent judgements about the best interests of the
corporation.

So today I filed a Petition For Writ of Mandate To Compell Inspection
and Copying of Books, Records and Documents to require ICANN to let me
inspect the corporate records without having to check the independence
of my judgement at the door.

The petition is at:
 http://www.cavebear.com/icann-board/petition-march-18-2002.pdf

The EFF press release is at: