[FYI] "overcoming ICANN"

<http://www.pfir.org/statements/icann>

David J. Farber
Peter G. Neumann
Lauren Weinstein

March 18, 2002

Overcoming ICANN: Forging Better Paths for the Internet

An Open Letter to the Global Internet Community

[...] ICANN's lack of meaningful representation, and its continuing
pattern of drastic and seemingly arbitrary structural and policy
changes (among other shortcomings), have created an unstable and
suspicion-ridden environment that is detrimental to the interests of
the vast majority of Internet users around the world. The resulting
overly politicized situation not only threatens the stability of the
Internet itself, but also invites drastic and undesirable
interventions by a variety of vested interests. [...] This is not to
cast aspersions on the efforts of any individuals involved with
ICANN in the past or present. Rather, we feel that ICANN has failed
as an organization, and that the amount of "bad blood" and
institutional "baggage" it carries doom "reform" efforts within the
organization itself to ineffectiveness at best. We come to this
conclusion reluctantly, since in the past we have considered that
there might be an appropriate continuing role of some sort for
ICANN. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible. [...]

--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>