[FYI] (Fwd) FC: CBDTPA hits House: Democratic legislator readying companion bill

Date sent:      	Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:29:32 -0500
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Subject:        	FC: CBDTPA hits House: Democratic legislator readying companion bill
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Text of Rep. Adam Schiff's (D-California) "Dear Colleague" letter:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/schiff.dear.colleague.032702.ht
ml

Politech archive on CBDTPA:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/

---

   Another Punch for Copy Protection
   By Declan McCullagh (declan@wired.com)

   12:00 p.m. March 28, 2002 PST
   WASHINGTON -- A political brawl over mandatory copy protection is
   about to spread to the U.S. House of Representatives.

   A Democratic legislator from the home of the Walt Disney and Warner
   Bros. studios is drafting a bill to reduce online piracy by
   implanting strict copy controls in digital devices.

   On Wednesday, Rep. Adam Schiff of Burbank, California, circulated a
   letter on Capitol Hill seeking co-sponsors for his legislation,
   which he said would follow the same approach as the Consumer
   Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA) in the
   Senate.

   "I plan to introduce legislation that would safeguard digital
   content by spurring the rapid development of copyright protection
   technology," Schiff's "Dear Colleague" letter said. "Similar
   legislation, S. 2048, has been introduced in the Senate. I believe
   this is a necessary step and I encourage you to join me in this
   effort.

   [...]

--- Politech dinner in SF on 4/16:
http://www.politechbot.com/events/cfp2002/