[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Correction: MPAA already managed to shut down illici

Date sent:      	Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:00:51 -0700
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Correction: MPAA already managed to shut down illicit movie
 	site
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

[While I was catching up on email, I inadvisedly sent out the previous
Politech message (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03635.html) without
checking for followup stories first. That led to a whole lot of

---

From: "Albert Koellner" <crajk@cryogen.com>
To: declan@well.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:47:02 +0200
Subject: Re: FC: MPAA tries to shut down illicit movie site -- based
in Iran

On 10 Jun 2002 at 7:55, Declan McCullagh wrote:

 > [Next steps?

The movie's over for Film88.com
By Stefanie Olsen
Special to ZDNet News
June 6, 2002, 4:20 PM PT

Hollywood dodged a second bullet in a burgeoning battle
over online film distribution Thursday, quickly shutting
down an Iran-based Web site that had sold access to
copyrighted films over the Internet for $1 apiece.

Tehran-based Film88.com registered its Web site in April,
and the company had briefly operated a video-on-demand site
renting a long list of Hollywood hits such as "Star Wars"
for viewing on PCs. Though Film88.com was being operated
from a country with unfriendly U.S. relations, its content
ran from servers based in the Netherlands. The MPA, the
international arm of the Motion Picture Association of
America, worked with its Internet service provider in the
Netherlands to turn the site off. ISPs in the Netherlands
recognize international intellectual-property laws.
[...]
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-933598.html

---